The Deaconess Delania M. Hurston Memorial Scholarship was established to honor the legacy and memory of Deaconess Hurston, a beloved member of our Church family for many years. Deaconess Hurston possessed a great love of children, always encouraging them to continue their education and to reach for the stars. She believed that education is the foundation upon which we will build our future. This scholarship will help continue her dream to support deserving students as they pursue their educational goals.
Mission Statement: The mission of the Saint Phillips Baptist Church Deaconess Delania M. Hurston Memorial Scholarship is to honor the legacy of Deaconess Hurston by encouraging and investing in the education of graduating high school students.
Scholarship Award: The Deaconess Delania M. Hurston Memorial Scholarship is a one-time scholarship. It is awarded annually to graduating high school students entering an institution of higher education or trade school. This scholarship is awarded without regard to financial need and paid upon receipt of verification of enrollment. Scholarship awards will range between $250.00-$2,000.00. Students and their parents/guardians will be notified via email after decisions are made.
Eligibility/Selection criteria are as follows:
- High School Transcript with a GPA of 2.5 or higher (based on a 4.0 scale)
- Verification of High School Attendance Record
- Community Service Verification
- Two Letters of Recommendation from School Personnel and Community Leaders that address the Applicant’s Character and Leadership Ability
- Personal Essay (addressing instructions in the Application Form).
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions concerning the scholarship application form.